Thursday, September 6, 2012

Alt+Control+Delete Chapter 3


“Here, Kaya, take this to the office please?” asks my geography teacher, handing me the attendance. “I’m sure you’ve already read all this stuff in the textbook you borrowed the other day.
I look over at the board, and saw that indeed, I had already read about it. “Sure,” I say, taking the attendance folder from his hands. My classmates look at me quizzically, as if asking me why on Earth I would ever read a textbook on my spare time. The answer to that is obvious if you know me; I love information and knowing all sorts of facts, no matter how irrelevant and pointless it is. I guess it was that thirst for the facts of the virus that led me into the mess. Besides, it also took my mind off of other, more unpleasant thoughts, which I don’t think I need to expand upon.
I take the long route down to the office, wandering aimlessly around each floor. The school was built like a square donut, so I could go from one staircase, walk around the floor for a few minutes, and end up back at the original staircase. I do this until I finally reach office whenever a teacher asks me to take down the attendance. Which happens quite often.
I push open the heavy glass door, which is boarded up because a student had recently decided that playing football inside was a good idea. Needless to say, he has better judgment now.
I walk into an oddly silent room. Normally, there are the “office ladies” (as we have dubbed them) sitting at the desks near the front, answering calls, doing paperwork, etc. But there was no one there. Normally, they’re pretty hard to see from the doorway as the counter in front of the desk was much higher, but unless they’re hiding, they’re not here. All of the doors to the vice-principals’ offices are open and empty. The only closed door belongs to the principal’s –Mr. Valero’s-  office.
I walk up to the attendance bin, and place the attendance in gently. As I’m about to leave, I hear loud muttering coming from the principal’s office. My curiousity is now piqued. I walk slowly and on velvet feet towards the door. As I approach the door, I see that it’s not entirely closed.
I stand at the door, hovering and wondering whether I should listen in on the conversation. My curiousity has gotten me into very deep trouble beforehand, and who knew what the consequence would be now? However, my nosiness and temptation get the better of me, and I lean in to peek into the principal’s office.
The principal’s desk has always been set sideways to the door, making it harder for anyone to check to see if someone’s spying. There are two men sitting across from Mr. Valero, who is leaning towards them as if they were saying something fascinating. The two men are dressed in all black, reminding me of that cliché of what government agents wear on secret missions. I can’t hear what the two men were saying, unfortunately, as they speak softly and are farther away from me. My principal, on the other hand, has a loud booming voice when he is normally speaking, which is surprising as he has quite the reedy body. His murmur was rather indiscreet so it was most likely him that I heard earlier.
“I’m very honoured to have you gentlemen here. Is the experiment working to the company’s satisfication?” he asks, twisting the wedding ring that was now slightly too big for his finger in agitation.
One of the men says something, and Mr. Valero looks relieved. “I am glad. This is quite like the plot of The Manchurian Candidate, if you haven’t noticed.” Mr. Valero chuckles to himself, but the two guests do not join in. The second says something, and Mr. Valero stops laughing. “I’m sorry, it’s just a reference to an interesting movie.” The first one says something again. My principal makes a noise between his teeth. “He doesn’t let you watch movies? How sad.” He pauses to take out his handkerchief and wipe at his forehead (which is by now, glistening with sweat). “Speaking of Javert, when will he agree on a meeting day? I do wish to speak with your employer.”
Both of the guests abruptly stand up, and lean down in synchronized perfection. They stop within inches of Mr. Valero’s nose and whisper something to him. It must be something unpleasant, as Mr. Valero turns as white as a sheet. The two men stand up again, and start heading right towards the door.
I reel backwards, nearly stumbling over my feet in my hurry. I take the attendance out of the bin, and take a few paces back. Just as the door to Mr. Valero’s office open, I walk towards the bin and place the attendance, as if I had just arrived there. To my relief, the two men don’t give me a second glance. They step out of the principal’s office, close the door behind them, and quietly exit the school. I watch them as they make their way down the street, hail a cab, and leave.
I glance up at the large office clock. Damn it, I’m normally back in class about 5 minutes ago! I run up the flights and stairs, and enter my geography class. My teacher looks up at me from his teaching.
“Where have you been?” he asks.
“The principal just needed something. I was just attending to his business,” I said. A little white lie won’t hurt in this case. I think.



My apologies for the long wait, here is the next chapter! I was on a little bit of a writer's block for this particular story, but G helped me out :)
Many thanks to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment