Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chapter 8 (K)



Bingo. The window pops open and no alarms sounds. I quickly check to make sure no one is around, and then slide in. I land on a pile of clothes that are lying on the floor. Yep, this is definitely Maury’s room. I examine the disheveled state of the room, taking note of the mess everywhere. The bed isn’t even made. It’s almost hard to believe anyone but Maury has been in here, even though the government must’ve made repeated trips.
I search for the computer, but as expected, it was gone. I wasn’t getting my hopes up for that. Instead, I drop to the floor and look under the old glass table.
I can tell by the slight imprint on the glass that the computer sat on the table, therefore making any surface around it suspect of holding a vital clue. In this corner of the room, there was almost no light, and I curse myself for not bringing a flashlight.
I rely solely on my touch, brushing it along the rough wood close to the walls where it the finishing had come off. My fingertips brush along the wall and then something cold and hard. It’s almost out of my grasp, but I manage to pull it out.
It’s an USB key. It’s in the shape of a skateboard, and the label “M. Spiel” was written on it with black sharpie. I think back to 4 months before, the last time I ever saw Maury Spiel. I can’t be sure, but I think this is the one he used the last time before he disappeared. Awesome.
Suddenly, I hear the door to the house open and several voices come babbling from outside.

“I’m not sure why you needed to take me out of work gentlemen, as you know how to get in…”
“We’re sorry for disrupting your day Mrs. Spiel, but there’s something very important to the investigation that we need. Did your son use a USB key often? It’s possible the virus was transmitted from another source through the key.”
“Ah, when you mention it, he was always attached to that USB key in the shape of a skateboard. I have no idea where it is at the moment though,” says Maury’s mom. So my hunch was right, although I may be busted before I can do anything with it.
“Well, ma’am, if you’ll search the living quarters, we can look through your son’s room.”
Footsteps creak towards Maury’s room. I’m dead if they find me. The door to the room is wide open, so as soon as they get close enough, they’ll find me.
I rush to the window, and bang into the dresser. I freeze, and I hear the footsteps stop moving.
“Hey, did you hear that?”
“Yeah, it’s probably just the house shifting. It’s pretty old.”
The footsteps start coming closer again. I probably have 30 seconds to get out of here. My head is pounding from my collision into the wood dresser, which is not helped by my racing heart. I open the window as quickly and quietly as possible and start slipping out.
I’m nearly out when they reach the doorway. Oh crap.
“Hey you! What do you think you’re doing?” yells one of them. He’s big and burly, with a handlebar mustache.
I don’t answer him, and break into a run. I hear shots behind me, and a dart whizzes past me, embedding itself into the tree. I grab it on the run and notice the liquid dripping out of it. So they’re using tranquilizer guns. At least they’re not lethal, but I still need to avoid them.
“Come back here, boy!”
Ok, so they didn’t see my face, and the baggy clothes and hood helped. I know I should feel relieved that they think I’m a boy, but I have to say I’m slightly insulted.
I rush home, not caring if anyone I knew sees me. I burst into the house, relief filling me to see that my parents aren’t home yet. I lock the door behind me, and hope that the government’s agents hadn’t followed me. But with that guy’s bulkiness, I doubt he would’ve been able to keep up with me.
I scrawl a nearly undecipherable note telling my parents when they come home that I’m not “feeling well” and that I already called the school. Hopefully they’ll let it go this time.
I crawl upstairs, exhausted. I enter my room and collapse in my bed. I glance over at the clock and notice it’s only 9:07. School had barely started.
I take out the USB key and look at it for a bit. What type of secrets could it unlock? I stare at it for a while until sleep took me.



So what did you think? A bit longer than my other chapters. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment