Monday, January 2, 2012

Chapter 7 (K)


I left a message to the school saying I was “sick”. Man, if my parents find out, I’m going to be in so much trouble. But this opportunity is so golden that it’s impossible to let it get away. Maury’s mom will be away at work, and my parents will think I’m at school.
I rush up the stairs and change into my least conspicuous clothes. I grab my key, phone, wallet, a water bottle, my dad’s old Swiss army knife and my tablet. Stuffing everything in my backpack, I sneak out of the house, and lock the door. I cross my fingers hoping I see no one I know, as the gig would be up if they saw me going the opposite direction of school.
I start walking to Maury’s house, which is about a 2-minute walk from where I live. I cut through the Salvation Army parking lot and onto the side street. There’s an alleyway that I take regularly, so I avoid that and take the long way around to make sure I don’t bump any of the people I say hello to each morning. When I catch view of Maury’s house, my feet quicken. I’m almost there, just a few meters away, when I see the door open.
“Crap!” I mutter under breath. So Maury’s mom seems to be running late for work. I dive behind a bush, being careful not to crush my tablet. My heart was running wild as I felt as though she was going to turn around and look at where I was hiding. I curse at myself for not choosing a better spot. If she turned around now, I was done for.
But thankfully, she didn’t. She just walks to her car and drives off. God. That was close. I have to say I feel sorry for her. Ever since Maury’s dad left when he was 3, it’s always just been Maury and his mom. Now that even Maury is gone, she’s by herself. It’s no time for thoughts like that, at the moment though. I roll out of my hiding spot and get up. I brush off my pants and walk to the window I know belongs to Maury’s room. No, I’m not a stalker. Maury was my friend from grade 6, and if he hasn’t moved rooms (which I doubt) I should be fine.



No, I've never skipped school to do something like Kaya did. Don't worry. 
This is a bad place to leave off, but oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment