Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chapter 9 (K)


 “Kaya, how are you feeling?” my mom asks, waking me up. I feel extremely groggy as expected. I went through a lot of excitement earlier today.
“I’m a lot better, Mom. By the way, what time is it?”
“Oh, 2:00.”
Did I actually sleep for 5 hours?! Sheesh. I must’ve been more tired than I originally thought. I crawl out of bed and fall. I land with a very undignified yelp on my butt, the sheets entwined around my legs. I’m agile when it’s crucial, but in everyday life, I’m an absolute klutz.
Then I remember the Maury’s USB key. I frantically search for it in my pockets, hoping I hadn’t damaged it in my fall, and to my relief, I find it unharmed.
I grab my tablet and wake it up. I have a few unread messages, mostly my friends asking where I am. That can wait for now. A warning flashes onto the screen: 1% Battery Power Remaining. It’s just enough power for the documents on here to load all the documents for me to peer over. I don’t bother plugging in the charger; I probably wouldn’t be able to find it before the battery died, and it takes forever to charge.

I plug the USB key in and click “Start Download.” Small, insignificant documents flash by on the screen: school projects, photos and games. Nothing particularly interesting, and I doubt there’ll be any clues for me. Everything seems to have little importance and downloads quickly, except for the last one. It’s taking a much longer time than usual, and it doesn’t seem to be a game. It seems to be some form of software.
I quickly glance at the power left. Crap, there’s only 0.1% left. Come on, come on, come on…
A blank window pops up once the software is downloaded. That’s strange. It normally doesn’t do that…
“Hello, Gerad. I hope you’re doing well,” says a male voice. It sounds kind, but there’s something wrong about it, making the message sound more menacing, almost like a threat…
At that moment, my tablet decides to shut off.
I sit there for a bit, chilled and pondering. Gerad is a good friend of mine, although he’s a bit eccentric. There’s nothing suspicious or different about him, so what is Gerad’s name doing on Maury’s USB key? And who made the software, and how does he know Gerad?
I go downstairs and tell my parents that I’m using their computer since my tablet died. The old desktop is a dinosaur, but it works fine. I log onto LikeIt.com, the most popular social network on the net since Facebook got shut down. Really, there’s almost nothing different about the two, other than a few improved features.
I check my chat box, and see that Gerad is on. Perfect.

Me: why are you online? isn’t it still school?
Gerad: oh hey, where were you today? and there was an early dismissal today.
Me: I was home sick today, but never mind that. oh really? I forgot. and don’t
start a poke war with me, cause I have something I need to show you.
Gerad: what is it?
Me: ummm… maybe it’ll be easier if I show you in person. I don’t know how
though.
Gerad: how about you come over to my place? it’s only 5 minutes away
anyways.
Me: sure! I’ll see you in 5 mins or so.

I log off and run back upstairs, much to my parent’s surprise. I quickly change into some my normal clothes of jeans, a t-shirt and a black hoodie and brush my wild hair into a somewhat manageable ponytail. At least I don’t look like I just got out of bed. I grab the USB key and walk downstairs.
“Where are you going in such a rush?” asks my Dad, looking up from his work.
“I’m going over to Gerad’s place to catch up on my missed schoolwork. He’s my friend. Don’t worry, I’m feeling fine,” I quickly reply while I stuff my boots on and snatch my purse. I stuff my now dead tablet inside of it. Hopefully Gerad has some sort of charger.
“Just be home by 5, because you still have chores to do.”
“Yeah, ok. I’ll call when I’m on my way home.”
I shut the door behind me and step out into the warm fall afternoon. I sigh, and walk in the direction of Gerad’s apartment. Maybe he’ll have an answer for me.



G, this chapter is dedicated to you for helping me come up with the cause of the conflict, lending your eccentric self as a character and for giving me a little inspirational push when I was stuck. 
Thanks!!!!!!!!
This chapter is where real life events start dropping out and the events are totally made up...

2 comments:

  1. If there was an I LOVE THIS! reaction button, I'd click that one, but since there is none I'll say it here: I LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I commented as anonymous, I should add that I'm G (though you can probably tell from the tone of the comment).

    ReplyDelete