Saturday, May 12, 2012

Alt+Control Chapter 43


I pick up Chimera and wander around the room for a bit. There’s nothing really fascinating in this dismal room. The room is totally unfurnished, except for the chair I was locked into and the table where Chronos would be placed. I try the door, but it’s locked.
I walk back to my chair and sit down. So, Chimera, what do you think of my plan?
“I think it’s possible it’ll work. Whatever Lukas brings your way though, never lose control. Once you do that, you’re done. We’re done.”
Yeah, yeah, ok. I know that much. It’s kind of obvious. If we initiate the attack, he’s not going to show us any mercy.
“Yes. He may even kill me.”
Thanks for letting us go through this…I know we’ve only been acquainted for a few hours, but you’re willing to sacrifice yourself.
“Because I want to stop this killing. I do not have the power to constantly play catch-up with Chronos.”
Right.

The door creaks open, and Lukas wheels in, with Chronos sitting on his lap. No Marc with him, though. I hope he’s ok.
“Oh, so you’re awake now,” he says, and looks at me with boredom.
“Thanks for putting that drug in me. Greatly appreciated,” I say, putting as much sarcasm behind my voice as I can.
Lukas snorts. “You’re welcome.”
Chimera, is he off guard right now?
“No, not quite yet. Ease him more.”
I give Chimera a mental nod. “So when are you going to put me to work?” I ask Lukas innocently.
“Soon. Actually, in a few minutes. One of the people I put under should be in the red any moment now,” he replies.
Ok then. I open Chimera, and click on the list of people there. A few names are coded red.
Chimera, let’s heal these people. That way, he thinks that I’m working and not thinking of attacking him at all.
“Sounds valid to me.”
This time, I merely have to think about it, and Chimera starts typing in the code that’ll save the person. Are we getting more and more connected? This barely puts a strain on me.
I clear all of the red coded names, but I don’t make it look like it. Instead of clicking on a name, I open a new window.
Ready?
“Yes.”
I look up at Lukas, and Chimera starts moving my fingers across the keyboard. I think about entering Lukas’s mind, and just keep on staring at him. He looks confused, and I take that confusion and push into it.
Everything turns white, and then I’m inside of a school playground. I blink a few times, and then see a little kid with spiky brown hair and sad black eyes sitting by alone on a swing. Is that Lukas? I peer at him more closely, and the boy turns to look at me. It is!
Something lit up his face, and he waves. Then he gets up and walks towards me. He keeps on walking, and as he gets closer and closer, it doesn’t seem like he’s going to try to avoid me. I try to move out of his way, but I can’t. Just as he is about to reach me, he just walks through my body.
Wait, what?
“It appears that we managed to get in. This appears to be one of his memories,” says Chimera drily. “Now we have to find a way to get out of here and into his will.”
I will myself to move, and the scene around me changes. In front of me is an older looking Lukas, and a young version of Marc! They’re tinkering with something.
“Once we finish this, we’ll be famous!” says young Marc. “We’ll be able to save so many people! Just the two of us, we can.”
“Yes,” says the young Lukas. “We’ll be able to save anyone we want once we finish Chronos. And that’s what we’ll be famous for. We promised each other.”
So this was when they were making Chronos. When Lukas was still innocent. I will myself to move forward again. This time, the scene is from maybe a couple of years back. We’re in somebody’s house, from the looks of it. Lukas looks just like the one in the picture that Gerad had. Marc is there too.
“I’m sorry. But I think Chronos will be too dangerous. I don’t want it to fall in the wrong hands. It would cause too much destruction,” says Marc.
“But you can’t give up now! We’re so close, so close! If you leave it now, all that time would’ve gone to waste!” Lukas’s tears drop down from his face, and hit the hardwood floor.
“I’m sorry. But we have to leave Chronos.”
“Then what about that promise so long ago? You intend to go back on it?”
“All you care about is the fame. I’ve realized that for a long time. Chronos is not a tool for you to become famous! It’s to save people! This is what I mean when I say I’m afraid it’ll fall in the wrong hands. If people abuse it, the consequences will be disastrous.”
Lukas doesn’t say anything for a while. “Fine, leave me behind. Abandon me like everyone else did.”
Marc steps away. He stops, then turns back to face Lukas. “I’m sorry. But don’t forget my warning.”
All of a sudden, I feel a sensation that can only be described as being pulled apart from the inside. The scene disappears, and I find myself in pitch-black surroundings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment