Sunday, May 27, 2012

Alt+Control Chapter 49 (Final Chapter!)


It’s a normal day today, which is weird. I haven’t had a normal day since what seems like forever. This past couple of weeks or so, I’ve been freaking out about this whole Chronos and Lukas thing. But today, nothing is weighing on my mind. Gerad is at peace, Drew is alive, Marc is always by my side, and the world is in no apparent danger. I don’t have to lie to my parents anymore, sneak around, or break into top-secret facilities.
I slip into my normal clothes, and drag down my backpack downstairs.
I wave a quick good morning to my parents as they head out the door. I go into the kitchen and fix my normal breakfast. I settle into my old routine quickly. Within 20 minutes I’m out the door and on the way to school.
Somehow, miraculously, I’m 10 minutes early for class. I sit down at my seat, and take out my copy of “le Petit Prince,” that we’re studying in class. People come in, filling the classroom with familiar and comforting murmurs. I look up from my book, and I see Marc standing at Madame’s desk. I try catching his eye, but he seems to be in deep conversation with Madame. Eventually, he hands her a note and leaves the classroom.
I glance over at his desk. It’s been untouched, with none of his stuff there. The national anthem blares on, and we stand up. I look over at the door to see if Marc would come back, but he doesn’t. I sit back down when the announcements are done, and I put up my hand.
“Madame, where did Marc go?”
“Oh Marc? He’s moving away today. Such a pity though, he was such a brilliant student.”
Marc’s leaving? Moving?! What?! He can’t just leave now without telling me! I’d have no way to contact him! I hear Gerad’s voice in my head saying, “He’ll be there to help you. He told me himself.” Marc, you idiot!
How do I get out of here? I look at Madame. She’s busy setting stuff up for the class activity. I whip out my tablet, and forge a note saying I had a dental appointment.
Lae looks over, and her eyebrow rises. “What are you doing?”
“I’m going to go stop something.” I reply. I stand up, and bring my tablet over to Madame. She looks over at it, and then nods.
“Go on ahead. Come here at the end of the day to find out what you missed.”
“Thank you!” I speed walk to my desk, grab my stuff, and run out the door. I nearly soar down the two flights of stairs. I run past the office, ignoring the disapproving glances from the secretaries and burst out the doors.
I look back and forth, and then I see Marc standing at the side of the school, near the back of the school where only a week ago, he, Gerad and I sat. I sprint towards him.
“Marc!” I yell, and he turns around.
“Kaya?”
I stop in front of me, and I pause to take a breath. I put down my stuff. “You idiot! Why are you leaving without telling me?!”
“I was going to tell you, but I forgot,” he says sheepishly.
“That’s no excuse! Where are you moving to?”
“Stromville.”
“That’s a few hours from here! How could you just leave me like this? I thought you were always going to be here, helping me, no matter what!” All my emotions are just spilling out, even though I never meant it to.
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I wanted to stay, but my dad’s job uproots us all over the place. If I had the choice, I would stay.”
“But you don’t.”
“No, I don’t.” He shakes his head sadly.
“How will you stay in contact with me? I have none of your contact information, nor do you have mine!”
“Oh, that reminds me,” he says, and he rummages through his pocket. “Close your eyes.”
I look at him skeptically. I close my eyes. I feel something slip over my neck and weigh a little bit. I open my eyes again, and I find a silver heart shaped necklace hanging on a black suede cord.
“Open it,” says Marc, and I pick it up. I find the little opening, and I open it slowly. Inside, I find it’s a USB key.
“For your every need,” he says. “Plus it has all my contact info. Chat with me when you get home.”
I’m speechless. I’ve never seen anything more thoughtful or sweet. “Thanks,” I manage to say.
“No problem,” he says. “If you ever need me, just contact me. I’ll come as soon as I can.”
“Promise?”
“Promise.”
A honk sounds, and Marc turns towards the road. “Oh, that’s my parents.” He picks up his stuff. “I’ll see you on chat tonight?”
“Sure thing.” He starts to walk towards the car. “Oh wait!” I shout after him. He turns back around. “Gerad says hi!”
He just smiles and shakes his head. He gets into the car, and the car starts moving. I run towards the street, and wave. Marc turns back in his seat and waves back. I keep on waving until he and the car is out of sight.
I look at my tablet. It’s only been 10 minutes since I’ve raced out of Madame’s classroom. I don’t think I’d be back from a dental appointment so soon.
I sit on the bench, wondering what to do. I can’t just wait around for the next adventure to come. I look at my tablet.
I unlocked it, and opened a new word document, the first one in a while. I close my eyes and think. After a few moments, I open my eyes, and my fingers move on their own and start flying across the keyboard.
“My name is Kaya Song,” I type, “but many of you know me as Chimera. Let me tell you a little secret…”

No comments:

Post a Comment