Monday, April 9, 2012

Alt+Control Chapter 31


Did I hear that right? I shake my head in confusion. “Pretend I’m blind? What is that going to do?”
“It allows you to observe without suspicion. No one is going to be worried about a blind person since they can’t see their surroundings or anything possibly suspicious.”
“What the heck would a blind person be doing there?”
“You can be some sort of wealthy…sponsor. Wanting to talk to some of the workers, and find out where your money is going.”
“Then what about you two? How are you going to get through?” I ask. I can understand my costume, but I’m not going to get in alone.
“We’ll be government officials, sent in by Mr. Bronson,” says Marc nonchalantly.

“How in the world are we going to do that?” I nearly freak out at him. This is more out there than I first suspected! “We’re going to need identification, and we’d have to have some form of permission slip or card from Mr. Bronson…”
“Leave that to me,” says Marc, and I can tell by his voice that the matter was closed.
“And how are we going to get in the first place? And how are we going to execute this rescue and shut down?” asks Gerad.
“You just stole the words out my mouth,” I tell him. “But tell us Marc, how are we going to do this?”
“Well, we’ll go in the evening, where they’ll probably be a shift in workers. And during that transition time, we can probably go wherever we want without anyone questioning us. We might have to split up at some point, since we have 2 tasks at hand, but we’ll keep in contact. Once we shut down Chronos and find Lukas, alarms will probably be set off. We just have to run out of there as quickly as possible.” He looks at us. “Any questions?”
Actually I have several, but I have no better plan. I just shake my head.
“Ok then. So we’re decided.” Marc and Gerad get up and brush off their clothes. Marc offers me his hand, and I take it.
“So when will our plan be put into action?” I ask.
“Hopefully this Friday night.”
“This Friday? So early? How are we going to pull this off? We only have 4 days to prepare!” I exclaim. I have to balance that along with everything else that I have to do?
“Start working.”
“Oh geez thanks. You’re so sympathetic,” I tell him with as much sarcasm as I can muster.
He just looks at me. “You’re the one who wanted to stop them, so stop complaining! You have to be able to handle the work needed to be done, and it doesn’t seem like you can,” he says, frost edging into his voice.
“So you’re saying that I’m incompetent?” I can feel the rage tingling. “That I don’t realize how much work needs to be done towards this?”
“Yes, I’m saying you’re incompetent, insecure, and unprepared for this!” shouts Marc.
“Guys,” says Gerad, glancing at us nervously. “Don’t fight now…”
I just hold up my hand and cut off Gerad’s words. “Don’t get into this Gerad. This is between Marc and me.”
“I do understand, more than you do. I’ve already had someone dragged into this because of my previous actions, I don’t know if we’ll be able to get out of this alive, and you’re asking me to possibly prepare for our deaths in four days?!”
Marc just looks at me, his indigo eyes just cold, hard pits that show nothing underneath.
“You know what,” I say, and I can hear the sharpness in my voice. “I’ll be ready for Friday.” If he thinks I’m incompetent, I’ll prove him wrong. “Tell me where and when.”
“Meet us at 16 Grange Street, at 17:45.” He pauses. “I’ll take care of the security stuff.”
“Fine.” I speed walk past Marc, not bothering to say farewell to Gerad. “I’ll see you then.”
As I walk home, I wonder if our alliance will survive this.

No comments:

Post a Comment