Friday, April 27, 2012

Alt+Control Chapter 38

I straighten up, and nod my head to tell him to proceed. This may help me buy some time to stop Chronos, and get out of here.
“Marc and I go quite a way back. I first met him in grade 2, when I moved to the elementary school he was attending at the time. I was the first person to befriend him, and we became fast friends by the end of that year.”
“So what split you guys up? What made you…”
“Hate him? Well, even though we were as close as brothers, there was something that always created a rift between us. You see, his fellow students, the teachers, and the other student’s parents loved him… He was the perfect child. Meanwhile, I was always in the shadows even before he came. But when he arrived, I was probably pitched into an abyss where no one would ever see me. I was able to ignore it for some time, but by grade 4, I could see it wasn’t going to just stop.” His voice fades, and he lapses into another bout of staring off into space.

“There has to be more to it than that. I mean, we all feel under someone’s shadow at a point in their life, right?” I certainly have. Numerous times, where I felt like I was overlooked and forgotten. But my feelings have never become this…this twisted.
“You don’t understand!” roars Lukas. He pounds the arm of his wheelchair. “It wasn’t just that. I tried everything to make people look at me, to admire me as well. I thought I’d use my good sense of judgment and stop bad things from happening. Instead, I get called a whistleblower and everyone starts to avoid me. Eventually, I become a social outcast. I was even forgotten by the teachers.”
“So…everyone abandoned you? Is that why you’re so bitter?”
“It’s not as simple as that. Indeed, Mr. Perfect, Marc, decided to stay my friend. And you know what? No one hated him for it. Because they all thought it was because he pitied me. There’s nothing more demeaning than being pitied and not taken seriously.”
“So how does Chronos come into play?” I ask. Keep on going Kaya. Make him talk. Then maybe I can figure something out.
“Chronos was the brainchild of Marc and me. It started out as a tool to help those who were traumatized, or brain damaged. Chronos would either erase memories, or help discover them again. It uses waves that play around with the mind. I believe you discovered that feeling with the Whisperer outside the door.”
“The Whisperer?”
“It’s that device you so idiotically pressed while trying to reach me. It uses a slightly modified version of the waves to create emotional images.”
“And let me guess, you and Marc created it?”
“Actually, only I did. Marc had already left by then.”
“Left?”
“Yes… even Mr. Perfect decided to leave me. He told me that he thought Chronos would be too dangerous in the hands of the wrong people. He abandoned the project and abandoned me. That was the final straw.”
“So you changed Chronos.”
“Exactly. I spent so many days and nights working on Chronos, fixing it to aid me. That was real, true dedication. And eventually, the Chronos that is so powerful as to manipulate the minds of thousands and millions of individuals came into being. Unfortunately, Chronos needed a new way of powering itself. A thinking computer can’t just exist by itself. I experimented with several components, and then I stumbled across it one day. It needed a human, a living one to help it think. Of course, I couldn’t just let anyone become Chronos’s companion.” He lifts up his arm, and I see a multitude of wires that I hadn’t noticed before snaking down his sleeve. I follow it with my eyes, and find it connected to the computer on his lap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment