Monday, April 16, 2012

Alt+Control Chapter 32


At 17:30, I’m standing in front of what is 16 Grange Street. I was expecting a very discreet looking building, as it houses such a secret facility, but boy was I wrong. I don’t think there could’ve been a more conspicuous building.
The famous architect Darius Comber, according to the plaque, supposedly designed it out front, who is famous for showy buildings. 16 Grange Street was no exception.
The wall facing out onto Grange Street was entirely glass, and the inside was composed of several spiraling staircases, different floors and levels at strange angles, and brightly patterned walls and ceilings. The colours ranging from chartreuse to mahogany to indigo, and patterns from plaid to checkers to stripes all clashed against one another.
The outside of the building was composed of several irregular geometric solids, all built haphazardly on top of each other, jutting out to all sides. Each shape was made of a different material, such as what looks like plated steel to antique bricks.
It truly looks like someone just decided to build the biggest eyesore on the block.

I twirl my cane in boredom, waiting for Marc and Gerad to show up. I’m already in costume, so hopefully they’ll recognize me and I’ll be able to recognize them with this make-up and these ridiculous sunglasses on. I had made sure that the sunglasses were mirrored so that I could look out without anyone seeing that I wasn’t really blind. Unfortunately, the only available ones at the store were huge.
I had spent most of the previous hour putting on foundation to change the colour of my skin, and had added some “wrinkles” around my mouth and forehead courtesy of my mom’s eyeliner. I had read about all these tricks to make you look older from a play and staging book. Who knew they could be so useful in real life drama?
I had also spent a lot of time last night creating a virus to shut down Chronos. I don’t know if it’ll work, but we’ll have to try.
“Looking good,” says a familiar voice, and I turn towards it. I almost fall back in surprise.
The voice belongs to Marc, but I can’t recognize him at all. Both he and Gerad are dressed in slick black suits, with their hair combed and gelled back, but their faces… they’re not even similar to what they really look like!
The one I think is Marc has a scar running down his cheek, black bushy eyebrows and a pronounced nose. Only his indigo eyes reveal who he really is. Gerad has coolly defined features, with stubble of a beard. Both of them appear to be in their late 30’s or so.
“How’d you guys do that?” I ask, amazed.
“Face masks,” says what sounds like Gerad, and starts peeling away at the corner of the mask to expose his real face.
“Wow. Impressive. I think you’ll have everyone fooled.” I pause to think. “So what’s my name for this supposed to be?”
“Nicolette Hardy, a rich widow,” Marc tells me. “You wish to do something productive with your money so you send it to them.”
“I see. And I suppose you’ve got all the identification and such?”
“Yes, we do.”
“And how about knowing where the entrance to the facility is? And how to get in?”
“The entrance is on a secret basement level that’s accessible from the ground floor,” says Gerad. “And we’re not sure how to get in, but I’m sure this entrance will be guarded.”
I sigh. “I wish we knew more but that’ll have to do. Let’s go.” I stick out my cane, swinging it back and forth in front of me as if I was really blind. Gerad and Marc flank my side, and we enter the building.
The colours and patterns that I saw outside were even more vibrant and clashing once I was inside. Even through the sunglasses they hurt my eyes! I feel sorry for Marc and Gerad, who don’t have any protection.
Marc grabs my arm, and leads me in the direction of what I assume is supposed to be the entranceway.
It was hidden beneath one of the spiraling staircases, out of sight from the door and the glass wall, and was guarded by two guards in black uniforms and helmets. They rather stood out against the wild colours. As we approached them, they stiffened slightly.
“What is your business?” asks one, slightly taller and broader than the other.
“I am one of the donors. I wish to see the facility,” I say, disguising my voice so it sounds deeper and unrecognizable.
“We have special orders from the boss,” says Gerad, and shows some papers. The smaller guard looks over at it.
“Do you have I.D?” he asks.
Marc whips out some impressively forged identification papers.
“Ok then, Mrs. Hardy. We just need to run some iris and fingerprints scan with you, if that’s ok, ma’am.” He opens the door to a grey, steel room with scanners inside.
I panic slightly. Iris scans? Then they’ll realize I’m not blind, and any fingerprints can be traced to my real identity… Wait! I know what to do. It’ll be crude, but effective.
“Can I just speak with these men from Mr. Bronson? They never did say anything about this procedure,” I smile politely. The guards give their assent. I take Marc and Gerad off to the side and hiss quietly my plan to them. Gerad and Marc try to disguise their smiles, but I can see that they’re pleased.
“Very well, sirs. Please go on with the proceedings,” I tell the guards. All five of us step into the room.
“If you may take off your glasses, ma’am, we need your eyes uncovered.”
“Certainly.” I start taking off my sunglasses, and I make sure that the guards’ attention is on me.
With a quick blow from both Marc and Gerad, they’re out cold. I place the sunglasses back on my face, and I drag the smaller man to the scanning machines where I scan his fingerprints and iris.
A door I hadn’t noticed before slides open on the wall opposite the entrance, and I see it’s an elevator. I lock the entrance door, making sure to take the key out of the guards’ pockets.
“Well that was surprisingly easy,” says Gerad.
“Don’t get too comfortable,” I warn him. “I doubt this is the hardest part.” I step into the elevator. “Are you guys coming?”


And so the break-in begins!! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment