Thursday, April 5, 2012

Alt+Control Chapter 30


“Kaya? Kaya!” shouts a voice, and I snap into attention. I see Mr. Cassano’s face in front of mine. Oh right. I’m at school, in math class. Wonderful.
“Are you alright?” asks Mr. Cassano. “You’ve been out of it the entire class!”
“I’m ok. Just…tired.” It’s true. I couldn’t sleep well last night. I kept on having nightmares about what could go wrong during our break-in.
“Very well then. Levi, what is the next step?”
I try to focus on the lesson, but my mind keeps wandering. I mean, when will we ever use linear and quadratic equations? Everything right now just seems so… so pointless compared to what I’m facing right now.
After learning the truth, I realize what it means to carry that burden around. I can’t allow anyone else to know, in case they get involved and hurt. I can’t unburden my worries to Marc or Gerad, in case they think I’m incapable. And the worse thing is that I can’t ignore it, because I’m the only the one who knows, and the only one who can stop it.
“Kaya, the bell rung,” says Levi, shaking me out of my stupor. I smile weakly at him.
“Thanks.”
“You know, Mrs. Hale will probably get mad at you in English if you’re like that in class. You should take care of yourself.” He pats me awkwardly on the shoulder and is gone.
I blink, and then start packing slowly. Maybe I should go home. Sleep. Plan for everything ahead. But that would look suspicious on my part. Besides, I need to meet Marc and Gerad after school today to plan. The rest of my schedule is stuffed, and I can’t risk contacting them any other way.
I stumble out of class, and head down the stairs to geography. I find my friends Hazel and Marina waiting for me outside the door.
“What took you so long? Normally you’re the first one here!” says Marina.
“Nothing. I’m just tired and sluggish today.”
“Are you sure it wasn’t him?” Hazel asked, raising an eyebrow suggestively.
“I’ve told you once, and I’ll tell you again: I don’t like Levi, and Levi doesn’t like me!” I sigh impatiently. I’ve been through this so many times with them. They’re absolutely convinced that Levi and I have something going on. Which is not true at all.
Marina tilts her head. “You sure aren’t putting up a fight today. Anything wrong?”
I shake my head. “Nothing.”
“You sure?” asks Hazel.
I just wave them off and sit at my seat. Any more questions and I’ll crack.
Mr. Ray goes to the front of the classroom, and I struggle to put on my usually eager face. Geo is one of my favourite subjects, but today, I just want the day to end.
Somehow, I manage to make it through the rest of geo, lunch, and my two afternoon classes. The bell rings, and I trundle to the back of the school, where I said I would meet Gerad and Marc.
I see them sitting on the pavement against the back wall as soon as I turn the corner. They wave me over, and I seat myself in front of them.
“So any ideas?” asks Marc. “I’ve been trying to think all day of some.”
I shake my head. “Nothing from me. I’ve been brain dead.”
“How about blowing up something at the entrance? And we sneak in when they’re all distracted?” suggests Gerad.
“Nope,” says Marc. “I studied the map closely, and it’s actually underground.”
“Hmmm…” ponders Gerad. “How about we sneak into the sewers?”
A laugh bubbles out of me. “Gerad, you’ve been watching too many movies! It wouldn’t happen like that in real life. It’s too convenient for a place like that.”
Gerad shrugs. “Well I’m out of ideas then. Marc?”
“Well… I do have an idea. But I don’t know if you’re going to like it Kaya.”
“We need to do this. And to a certain point, I’ll do whatever it takes.” I’m hoping it’s not going to be too extreme. There is a point where I won’t do something, and I really hope we don’t have to get there.
“We have to sneak in. In disguise again.”
“Again?? But we already did that!” I protest. “What if they catch on?”
“We just need new costumes, that’s all. And Gerad can lead this time. They won’t question him since they’ve never seen him before. Is that ok, Gerad?”
“Yeah sure!” Gerad looks pleased. Well Marc is treating him like he’s perfectly capable. I’m not saying he isn’t, but I still have my fears about this…
“You sure you don’t have any other ideas?” I ask. Maybe we can work something out that won’t be uncovered as easily…
Marc shakes his head. “Nope. And I think there’s a better costume for us this time.”
“Like what?” I ask. “We can’t go as business people this time.”
“Well, first of all, you’re going to have to pretend you’re blind.”


An uneventful chapter, but a landmark. 30 chapters! And this also marks the 50th chapter in total N and I have posted... hopefully many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment