Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chapter 19 (K)


“Back up everybody, give her some breathing room,” says a fuzzy voice. My eyes flutter open, everything out of focus and much too bright. I blink a couple of times and I’m met with the sight of several people crowded around me. They all have mixed expressions of worry and curiosity.
I sit up suddenly, alarmed. My head suddenly feels like it’s on fire, and I clutch it.
“Take it easy, would you?” says the voice. It takes me a moment to realize that it belongs to Marc. “You hit your head pretty hard there.”
My head feels a bit better so I let go of it. The brightness dims a bit as my eyes adjusts. “What happened?”
“You were talking to someone on the phone…and then you fainted. The person who you were calling started freaking out.”
Everything rushes back to me. I slump in overwhelming sadness. “Where’s my phone?” I ask Marc. He hands it over to me and I see that Tam is still on.

“I’m ok. Where is Drew being treated right now? Would I be able to see him?” I ask. I need to see him.
“We’re at Saint Joseph Hospital. I’m sorry, but they won’t let anyone into the room! The government people are in there, as well as the doctors. They won’t even let me or my parents in!” Tam spits angrily. “We’re his family, we should be allowed to see him!”
“Tam, what type of government people are we talking about here?” I keep my voice calm, but my insides are in turmoil. If the government is has a hand in the epidemic, and they’re with Drew…
“I don’t know… Some bigwigs. I think some of them belong to the FBI, and some are definitely part of the investigators in charge of the epidemic. Why?”
“Tam, I’ll call you back ok? Just keep me updated about Drew.” I hang up without another word.
“You feeling ok enough to stand up?” asks Marc. I nod my head. The crowd is now disinterested, and they disperse. Marc and I can now talk freely.
“What was that about?” he asks.
“Ok, I’m going to have to clarify some stuff first.” I start from the beginning of my investigation, and how it lead me to Lukas. I speak softly, so as to not be overheard. My words get jumbled up, and Marc has to interrupt me a few times to clarify things.
When I’m finally able to get everything out, including why I fainted, Marc just sagely nods his head. I get slightly excited. Maybe he’s thought of something!
“So that explains some things, but also brings up several questions. “Why would the government be the masterminds behind this? And if Lukas really is linked to this, why would the government need him enough to kidnap him? And how do they pick the victims?”
“That’s exactly what I was wondering when I brought you out. I was thinking that you would have some brilliant insight that I would’ve overlooked, but apparently not.” I deflate slightly inside. I’m nowhere closer to solving this.
The government people are probably updating their information and sending it to their superiors… A small light bulb flickers on in my head.
“Marc, let’s go inside. I think I might have a place where I can get a lead.”
We go back into the café and I grab my tablet. If they’re updating the information as we speak, or have finished it, then it’s got to be on the website!
I quickly log into the case details, and stand besides Marc. I show him the site.
“So this is where I get all the classified information from. Now if they’ve updated the site within the last few minutes then we know something about Drew has been placed in the files.”
I scroll around, and I see a button saying “Files Updates.” I click on it and see that it’s on the victim files. I quickly type in all the access passwords and enter the files. I see Drew’s name, and with shaking fingers I click it.
The normal information pops up, such as time and date of diagnosis, birth date, and the hospital name… But there’s a star besides “Other Details.”
I search for anything strange, abnormal about this. And then I see it. Where the note from the virus is placed, it doesn’t say, “You’ve been caught.” No, it’s a warning this time. And it’s not even for Drew.
“Kaya, stop investigating. Or he won’t be the only one,” it says. It’s a warning for me. I start feeling dizzy again.
Marc sees it, and looks at me. “Kaya, don’t faint again.” He grabs my arm and seats me back down.
“I can’t believe it. It’s my fault. My fault.” Tears well up and course their way down my cheek. Drew is going to die because of me.



Since it's going to be busy at school (I have 2 major projects due on the first week of March!) this story will slow down for a bit. I'll keep on posting when I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment