Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Chapter 20 (K)


“This is getting serious,” says Marc. “That’s a full-out declaration of war against us.”
“But how’d they connect me to him? And why are they so desperate now so that they’d kill someone as a warning?”
“I don’t know. But that means we’re close to finding out why.”
My tablet beeps, notifying me that I have an email. It’s from Nella.
“Check the news right now,” reads Marc out loud. “Something must’ve happened.”
“She helps me with this case. She tells me information when she finds any.”
I go onto the CTV website and see the latest headline:
“Epidemic is Now Spreading Worldwide! Victims Found in Parts of Asia, Africa and Europe!”
“Oh my god.” I can see Marc’s shocked expression mirror mine. “This is not good.”
I can feel the resolve build inside me. They can try to take Drew away from me, but no way am I going to let them wreck havoc around the world. There’s been enough death already.
I turn to Marc. “We’re getting to the bottom of this. We have to stop them.”
I take out my phone, and started calling the number that was listed at the bottom of the investigation page.
“Hello?” asks a female voice. It sounds a little robotic, but it might just be my phone.
“Hello,” I say, disguising my voice. “I’m here to book an appointment with the head of investigation, Mister Bronson. There are some urgent matters I must discuss with the bureau.” Marc looks at me with wide eyes, and grabs my hand with the phone.
“What the hell are you thinking of doing? Don’t be an idiot!” he hisses. I cover the receiver with my hand, trying to muffle his voice.
“We have nothing to lose. I’m getting a new phone the day after tomorrow anyways. They can’t track me down in two days!” I wrench my hand away from Marc’s grip.
“Ma’am?” asks the voice. I cough and shift back into my disguised voice.
“I’m sorry, my husband had to tell me something. So?”
“Unfortunately Mister Bronson cannot see you anytime soon. He is very busy.” I fight the urge to swear under my breath. There’s a pause, and I can hear whirrs and clicking. Either my phone is really breaking down or it’s a robot responding to me on the phone. “But I can get you with Mister Sharpo, third agent in charge. Will Saturday at 16:00 this week work for you, ma’am?”
“Of course. Thank you. And where is the building?”
“134 Tree Street. A secretary will be awaiting you at the front. Just mention your appointment to him or her and he or she will point you in the right direction.”
“Thank you very much.” I hang up and look over at Marc.
“I do hope you have a convincing costume for Saturday. Because we have an appointment with the third agent in charge of investigation.”
“You were actually able to do that?” he asks, surprised.
“Don’t underestimate me. I can do a lot of things that would probably surprise you.” I give him a crooked smile. There’s something satisfying about catching Marc off guard.
“Let’s start sketching out a plan so we’ll be ready, then. Saturday is only 3 days away.” Marc takes out his tablet and starts scribbling.
“Let’s do it on the way back home. You live at Redmond, right? I head down the same way for a bit.” It’s a lie, but we can’t stay here much longer. We’ve already attracted too much attraction.
We pay for our drinks and head outside. We talk in hushed voices, lest anybody overhears us. When we’re satisfied with our plans, we start to head our separate ways.
I’m halfway home when I feel someone place his or her restraining hand on my shoulder. My immediate response is to turn around and high kick the person as hard as I can.
I see a man in uniform fall over, clutching his stomach while another man also in uniform rush over to him.
“Miss, we come in peace!” says the uninjured man. He looks young, maybe in his early 20’s. He was lanky, and slightly awkward looking.
“I’m sorry, are you okay sir?” I ask the man I had kicked. He was older than the uninjured man, with a stockier build. “You just surprised me. I’m a bit…jumpy.”
“All’s forgiven, miss. You’re well defended against anybody who tries to hurt you.” The older officer stands up with a grunt and flashes a badge. “I’m Agent Hoover, from the Bureau of Investigation, Epidemic Division. This is my partner O’Flynn. Are you Kaya Song?”



It's Chapter 20!!!!! Wow!!!
So first of all, thanks to N for being my partner in this amazing project. 
Second, thanks to G (came up with the agent names in this chapter) and all my other friends and family that have suggested ideas for plot and characters.
And last of all, thanks to you for taking the time to read this humble novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment