Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chapter 21 (K)


Bureau of Investigation? Epidemic Division? Uh oh…
“Um, yes. What can I do for you?”
“We just need to ask some questions,” says Hoover and he takes out mini-note taker.
“So, what is your relationship to Drew Vivek?”
That question takes me a bit off guard. I was expecting a question regarding my involvement in the epidemic. “Friend since grade 5…we were also, umm… starting to be a little more than that just recently…” I fade out, not really wanting to expand on that. It’s a bit awkward speaking to strangers quite a bit older than me about my personal life.
O’Flynn’s expression softens. “I’m sorry to hear that. It must be tough,” he says, patting me awkwardly on the shoulder. I give him a small, sad smile. Tough doesn’t even start to cover it.
Hoover gave a meaningful cough and O’Flynn steps away from me. He mutters a small, “Sorry,” to Hoover. Hoover nods his head at O’Flynn and turns to me.

“I’m sorry, Miss Song. O’Flynn here is a rookie, working with me to learn the ropes. Now shall we continue our questions?” He starts scribbling furiously in his note taker.
“So what do you know about the epidemic?”
I stiffen in fear. Now this is where the scary stuff starts. Calm, calm, calm, calm…
“What everyone else knows, of course! People going into a coma, dying…it’s even spreading worldwide, according to CTV. That’s really freaky.”
“Yes, but is there anything else? Because there was an important piece of evidence that we think the instigators left behind, and it points to a “Kaya.” We have reasons to believe it’s you.”
“Reasons? What reasons? And what do you mean by evidence?” I feign ignorance. If I let slip even one tiny piece of information, they’ll immediately suspect me.
“That is truly none of your business, Miss Song. Indeed, its classified information, nothing a little girl like you would understand. Could you please just answer our questions?”
“Yes sir. Go right ahead.” I bow my head to hide my fury. How rude they are! I only asked simple questions, ones that most people would ask and I get brushed off. I clear my throat and compose my face.
“So you have no interest in the epidemic? No researching at home?”
“Of course I have some interest in it, as it’s a major event happening in our world right now. But would I spend most of my waking hours thinking about it, researching it? No, not at all.” I’m lying through my teeth and I cross my fingers behind my back.  Hopefully I’m not transparent right now.
“Hm,” says Hoover. I realize that O’Flynn hasn’t said anything since Hoover scolded him. He catches my eye and I give him a little smile to show him that the pat earlier was okay. He smiles back, grateful.
“If everything you said is true, why would there be any reason you were mentioned, Miss Song? Think long and hard about it.” Hoover gives me a smirk, sure that he’s won.
I’m so not going down without a fight. “Oh, and was there any last name mentioned in this piece of evidence? Or a picture? Or a fingerprint?” I ask innocently as possible.
“Um, well no…”
“So you are accusing me of being involved with these murderers because my first name, which could belong to many other girls around the world, is at the crime scene? That makes this an extremely unstable accusation.”
“You…you…” sputters Hoover, “You do not know who you’re dealing with!” A piece of spit lands on my cheek and I wipe it away calmly.
“I do know what I’m dealing with. An incapable agent from the Bureau of Investigation, Epidemic Division. Quite the disappointment.”
Hoover lunges at me, but O’Flynn holds him back, alarm evident on his face. Hoover’s face is turning red, making him look like a tomato. I just give him a polite smile and incline my head.
“If there are no more questions, I shall be on my way. Good day, gentlemen.” I swiftly turn on my heels and continue my way home.
“This is not the end, Kaya Song! We will find what you’re hiding!” shouts Hoover at my back. I do not slow my leisurely pace, nor do I turn around.
Well, that’s one more thing to bring up during our meeting with Mr. Sharpo on Saturday. I can’t have people like Hoover on my trail while I’m busy with so many other things. He’ll just get in the way.



This is what happens when you try to mess with Kaya :)

No comments:

Post a Comment