Saturday, March 17, 2012

Alt+Control 24


“Where the hell have you been?” he asks, quite annoyed.
“Believe it or not, fighting for my life.” I really don’t feel like arguing right now.
“Well thankfully, the meeting before ours is running late, so we’re still technically on time.” He looks me up and down. “Go fix up your make-up and hair. You certainly look like you’ve been fighting. But hurry, the meeting’s starting soon.”
I rush to the bathroom, and see that all the hard work I put into my appearance this morning is pretty much ruined right now. I smooth down my hair using water from the sink, and I rub off and reapply my make-up. I turn around to inspect myself, and I see a long gash up the back of my stockings. I sigh. There’s nothing I can really do about that. I take off my shoe, seeing that there are little shards from the android’s eye still embedded.

Finally, when I’m done, I don’t look so disheveled anymore. And I’ll just have to look as dignified as possible with a rip down my stockings. I go outside and see Marc waiting for me.
“There, you look more respectable now. More like a modern day business woman and less like a Stone Age one,” he says. I shoot him a glare. “Now, are you ready?”
“Yep,” I say a little nervously. “Time to get the show going.”
“Well then, after you, dear.”
Dear? Has Marc gotten some sort of a loose screw? Wait, I forgot. We’re supposed to be a married couple. Right. I sigh. “Thank you, darling.” He smirks at me, and I shrug. Might as well get into the role.
As we approach the building, I realize just how intimidating it is. A large skyscraper, plated with mirrors and silver so that the afternoon sun gleamed and glittered against the smooth surface. The tip of the tower disappears into the clouds above. It seems so unreal. Inside of 134 Tree Street is even more intimidating, with its high ceilings, and very geometric architecture. The thing that put me at the most unease was the sheer whiteness of the entire lobby. It’s a medical white, the type almost too pure that it hurts the eyes. It makes the room look even larger than it already is. The room and the people seem distant, and cold.
We approach the desk, and a young woman looks up at us. She fixes the glasses on her nose and asks, “How may I help you?”
“We have an appointment with Mr. Sharpo. I had asked earlier, but you said that his previous meeting was running late,” said Marc as monotonously as possible.
The woman started typing in something into her computer. After a few seconds she looks up and tells us that Mr. Sharpo’s ready to see us. She points us to the direction of the elevators, and tells us that Mr. Sharpo’s room is on the 35th floor. Mr. Sharpo’s located only on the 35th  floor? How interesting. I would expect such a high-ranking official to be on a much higher level. The 35th floor is only about half way up the building!
I smile elegantly and thank her. It’s hard keeping up this act. Always having to be elegant, cool and mature. Also, trying not to say something biting to both Marc and the secretary is hard. How can adults do this all the time? It’s only been a few minutes yet I can feel the façade cracking.
Marc and I slide into the elevator, and I lean against the wall, thoroughly relieved I can drop the act for a little bit. Marc touches my arm, and I jump. He looks hurt, then pulls his hand away. “You ok?” he asks, a bit gruffly. “You seemed freaked out back there.”
“Yeah,” I reply. I hug myself nervously. “Just a bit edgy. Sorry if I offended you.” I smile at him crookedly.
He waves me off. “You didn’t offend me.” He isn’t looking at me now. I feel bad, and I’m about to apologize when the door slides open and a man in a slick black suit walks in. I immediately straighten, and look at the display. We’re only on the 19th floor. I sigh, and the man presses the button for the 73rd floor.
The man looks at the lit button of the 35th floor, and then looks over at me. “So you’re the one with the meeting with Sharpo,” he says casually. “He’s a good subordinate, but a bit too stuck in his ways.”
Subordinate? This guy has to be either the second in command, or Mr. Bronson…
“Oh, how rude of me. The name’s Bronson. Head of command here at the Investigation Bureau.” He gives me a smooth smile. “Would you consider giving me your name? It would be an honour to make an acquaintance of such a lovely lady.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment