Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Alt+Control 28


“Special. What would that crazy old man know?” scoffs Marc as we descend in the elevator.
I want to disagree, but what can I say? Mr. Sharpo certainly seemed a little out of it, but I have a feeling that he said has something in it, something more subtle. But then again, I could just be over-thinking it. He just might be a man gone senile. So I keep my mouth shut.
Marc looks at me, and then suddenly rubs my head.
I jump, and then scowl at him. I smooth down my unruly hair and pull it back into a ponytail. “What was that for?” I ask. He’s been touchy-feely all of today, and it’s honestly just irritating me.
“Nothing much. You were thinking too hard, I could tell.”
I raise a questioning eyebrow. Since when has he been studying me close enough to see that I’m thinking hard?
“Your eyebrows scrunch up and you give a little grimace.” He demonstrates my facial expression and I laugh.
“There. That’s more like you. Don’t let that senile man get to you. He’s just spouting nonsense,” says Marc.

“I don’t know. Something’s bugging me about this. Maybe there is some sort of facility where they’re creating the virus. Maybe this,” I wave the USB key Mr. Sharpo gave us, ”really is the map to that facility.”
Marc turns to me. “What makes you say that?”
“I—I don’t know. Intuition?” I shrug. There really is no other way to try to explain it.
“It’s got to be one heck of an intuition for you to say that seriously.” The elevator rings and opens to the ground floor. He turns around to look at me. “But you know, something tells me your intuition might be spot on.”
Is he kidding me? Marc is made up of a hundred percent logic, except when he loses his temper. I close my eyes and shake my head. I must be hearing things.
When I open my eyes again, I see Marc staring at me seriously with those deep indigo eyes. He smiles at me playfully.
“You coming or what? That elevator’s going to close on you.”
“Shut up. You were being weird again.”
We walk to the Skytrain station smiling, but I’m still bothered by this whole business. So what do we do? Go and find this building on our own? Or get some help? I don’t want to drag anyone else into this mess though. No one else should die on my account. Marc will probably want as much help as possible. To make it even more complicated, it seems like the government’s using Lukas for this “Chronos,” which is not a good thing at all. I sigh inwardly. Why can’t things be simple for a change?
Thankfully, the train is full of people and quite normal. No disturbances in sight.
My eyes feel heavy, and my body just exhausted…hmm…maybe I’ll just close my eyes for a second. Won’t hurt, right?
“Wake up, you dolt!” somebody says, shaking me. “We’re at your station!”
I snap up and find my face mere centimeters away from Marc’s.
“Oh my god, did I fall asleep?”
“Yep. And on my shoulder too.” He glances at the door. “Come on, it’s going to close soon.” He helps me up, and get to the turnstiles upstairs.
I drag him by the sleeve to a secluded looking corner. “Ok, how are we going to plan this?”
“Don’t tell me you’re actually thinking about breaking in?”
“Yes I am. And we can’t talk about in school, nor can we really meet up after school. My schedule’s jammed. So what do you propose?”
“Well, this mission is going to be a lot more complicated than it seems. First of all, we’ll have to find a way to break into a high-security building. Then we have to find out how to shut down the virus. And last but not least,” his voice got louder, “we have to rescue Lukas Morgenstern! How in the world can we do that with just the two of us?” Marc asks me.
“We’re not dragging anyone into this,” I snap. “I don’t need people put into danger because of us. I don’t know about you, but I care.”
There was a thump behind me, and I jump around. “Who’s there?” I ask. If I have to, I’m ready for some more fighting. Only if necessary.
The figure, a guy gets up from the floor and tells me, “I want to join.”
I gape at the person. “Gerad, how long have you been listening?”


Sorry I haven't posted for awhile! I'll try to get back on track...

No comments:

Post a Comment