Monday, March 19, 2012

Alt+Control 26


“Now that business is done, why don’t we head to the big one, hmm?” Marc asks.
I take a deep breath in and exhale loudly. “Let’s do it.”
The hallway only goes one way, and it leads to a large door. Marc pushes it open with a creak, and we find ourselves in an extremely large room, with a glass wall at the opposite end, and a long table that extends from where we stood to the glass wall. There were three chairs at the opposite end, and in one of the chairs sat a man in a grey suit.
The man gets up and walks towards us, and I carefully analyze the man we will be speaking with in a short few moments.
He looks like he’s in his late-40s, with a few crease lines and thinning hair. His face is not unkind, but it’s hardened. He looks quite a bit older than Bronson, and seems much more refined. When he reaches us, I realize he’s only a bit taller than I am.
“You must be my next meeting. My pleasure to meet you…” he looks at us slightly quizzically.
“Mr. and Mrs. Andrews,” inputs Marc. “And the pleasure is all mine, assuredly.”
Mr. Sharpo chuckles. “So polite for such a young couple. Glad to see it.” He waves us over to the other end of the table. “Now let’s get to business, shall we?”
Mr. Sharpo seats himself at the end of the table while Marc and I sit across from each other.
“So, what is it you’d like to confront me about?” asks Mr. Sharpo pleasantly.
“Before we can start, may I ask if there are any security cameras, or bugs within this vicinity?” I pipe in.
“Not for this one. It’s much too dangerous to have something that can easily be hacked into in a room like this. And we must keep our meetings top secret.”
I sit back satisfied. I can now talk freely. “We have some questions regarding the epidemic.”
Mr. Sharpo smiles at me. “Everyone does. But how may I help you? This must be important if you have an appointment with me.”
“Very well,” says Marc. “What do you think of the theory that your bosses, the government, could possibly be behind the epidemic?”
I stare at Marc. “Dear! That is not an appropriate thing to say!” This is not supposed to be part of the plan! What is he thinking?
Mr. Sharpo’s face furrows into a frown. “Well,” he says seriously. “I know that theory isn’t just a rumour. It’s true.”
I nearly jump out of my seat. “Mr. Sharpo, are you saying that—“
“The very people who are supposed to be helping are the ones who are harming? Yes.” says Mr. Sharpo gravely.
“Then why can’t you stop it?” Marc asks. “You hold a seat of power, why can’t you use it?”
“How I wish I could,” sighs Mr. Sharpo. “Unfortunately, I’m powerless with Bronson in control.”
“How so?” I interject. Something has to be up to silence this man.
“He is an ally of the cause. He believes he will become even more powerful if the plan works out.” He shakes his head in despair. “If I was still head, I’m sure many of the deaths would not have happened.”
“You were head?” asks Marc, disbelieving.
“Yes, don’t look so surprised! I was taken out by the government and replaced by Bronson.” He spits Bronson’s name, as if it left a bitter taste in his mouth. Mr. Sharpo leans back. He glances at us, and asks, “You two aren’t reporters, right?
“No, of course not. This is a…personal cause.” I take off my glasses and fiddle with them.
“Ah, someone important, right?” Mr. Sharpo nods. “My wife died. To make sure I was obedient, and didn’t say a word out of place.” He smiles sadly, and a single tear slid down his cheek.
I lean over and pat him on the shoulder, trying to keep in all of my own tears. “I’m sorry.”
“Don’t apologize for something that wasn’t your fault, Kaya. It was going to happen as soon as I knew about the plot.”
He just said my name. Oh god. 



BAM! twist! tell me what you guys think so far, and be sure to comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment